Judith Cutler has a background in fine art and graphic design. She received a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Pennsylvania State University.
As a sophomore art major, Judith began to feel a powerful pull toward Abstract Expressionism. Her youthful appreciation for the dynamic colors, shapes, and flowing lines of abstract art, has become a lifelong fascination.
Elaine deKooning was one of her early teachers.
For more than 20 years, Judith worked as a corporate designer for IBM, Holiday Inn, and Oakland University, Rochester Hills, MI. Returning to fine arts, she began using pastels as a painting medium, along with mixed-media and acrylics. Pastels soon became her first love.
Judith believes, “Experimentation, while in the creative process, initiates the playful, ‘what if’, fun factor to art making. Doesn’t always work out but is engaging to try.”
The Pastel Society of America designated Judith a Signature member (2003) and a Master (2007). She is a Master Circle member (2009) of the International Association of Pastel Societies, Southeastern Pastel Society- Member of Excellence, as well as a member of Piedmont Pastel Society and North Carolina Pastel Society.
Judith’s artwork has shown at the Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, Ohio; National Arts Club, New York, NY; Peale Museum, Baltimore, MD; Oglethorpe University Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA, among others; and is in the Collection of the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Loretto, PA. She has received numerous national awards and has been published many times in the Pastel Journal. Publications include Art Journey: Abstract Painting, A Celebration of Contemporary Art, by Jamie Markle, and A Brief History of Artists in Eastern North Carolina.
Born and raised in Western Pennsylvania, Judith is currently living in coastal North Carolina.
Artist Statement: Be happy!
Awards and Publications Include:
‣ 2011 Arts & Science Council Regional Artist Project Grant Recipient
‣ Pastel Society of America Annual Open Juried Exhibition Awards 2018, 2015, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004
‣ Pastel Journal’s Annual Pastel 100 Abstract Category: 1st place-2008; 3rd Place-2007; 4th Place-2013; Honorable Mention-2009, 2008, 2007, 2005; Pastel Journal’s Creative Spark winner-August, 2010; The 21st Century Pastelist, article-August, 2007
‣ International Association of Pastel Societies Convention Cover Contest Runner-up: 2009, 2007, 2005
‣ North Carolina Statewide Pastel Exhibition Awards: 2017, 2015, 2013, 2012
‣ Southeastern Pastel Society International Exhibition: 4th Place/Exceptional Merit-2008, 2010; Member’s Exhibition: Merit Award/Honorable Mention-2007, 2005, 2003
‣ Appalachian Pastel Society Juried National Exhibition: Honorable Mention-2014