has a background in graphic design and fine art. She received a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Pennsylvania State University. As a college student she began a lifelong love of abstract expressionism. Elaine deKooning was one of her early teachers. She was a corporate designer for more than 20 years with IBM, Holiday Inn, and Oakland University in Rochester Hills, MI. She then returned to the fine arts and became fully absorbed using pastels as a painting medium. She also works with acrylics and mixed media.
Experimentation is an important component of her process. Pursuing an unconventional approach to a conventional medium, like pastel, is a constant, open-ended challenge.
Regardless of subject matter, finding a universal theme is her goal. The natural world becomes the common factor in developing her art. A microcosmos can be found in a pinpoint of nature. This observation of the small things often evolves and blossoms into an abstract or representational artwork.
The Pastel Society of America designated Judith a Signature member (2003) and a Master (2007). She is a Master Circle member (2009) of the International Association of Pastel Societies, a Southeastern Pastel Society Member of Excellence, and a member of Piedmont Pastel Society, and North Carolina Pastel Society.
Her work has been shown at the Butler Institute of American Art; National Arts Club, NYC; Peale Museum, Baltimore; Oglethorpe University Museum of Art, Atlanta; and the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, among others. She has received numerous national and international awards and been published multiple times in the Pastel Journal.
Born and raised in Western Pennsylvania, Judith is currently living in Charlotte, NC.
Pause for a closer look. Focus on a small place in the world and you may have a microcosmic, “ahh” experience. Conversely, take a macro viewpoint, like pondering the night sky or a great vista, and feel immersed in the moment. These two perspectives provide the backbone for my work.
Awards and Publications Include:
‣ 2011 Arts & Science Council Regional Artist Project Grant Recipient
‣ Pastel Society of America Annual Open Juried Exhibition Awards 2018, 2015, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004
‣ Pastel Journal’s Annual Pastel 100 Abstract Category: 1st place-2008; 3rd Place-2007; 4th Place-2013; Honorable Mention-2009, 2008, 2007, 2005; Pastel Journal’s Creative Spark winner-August, 2010; The 21st Century Pastelist, article-August, 2007
‣ International Association of Pastel Societies Convention Cover Contest Runner-up: 2009, 2007, 2005
‣ North Carolina Statewide Pastel Exhibition Awards: 2017, 2015, 2013, 2012
‣ Southeastern Pastel Society International Exhibition: 4th Place/Exceptional Merit-2008, 2010; Member’s Exhibition: Merit Award/Honorable Mention-2007, 2005, 2003
‣ Appalachian Pastel Society Juried National Exhibition: Honorable Mention-2014